Tuesday, April 15, 2014

A Secret Date at Salt Water Cafe, Churchgate.

I had written this review long back. Thought its time now to post it. :)

21st March has been one of the best day of this year so far for me. I wouldn't tell you'll why. (I am very secretive when it comes to saying something. :P) but I guess by this, most of you smart pants must've got it why. ;) I celebrated my Jamshedi Navroze by eating Parsi breakfast, Italian brunch and Continental dinner. As per the typical Parsi tradition, I also saw the Parsi Natak, "Pakar Mori Poochri." with my dad and landed up meeting uhm uhm *coughs* SECRET! :P Friend. :D  I have a lot more to write about it but I am controlling my emotions in penning down those moments and feelings. :P :)

We decided to dine at Salt Water Cafe because I've been wanting to go there since a very long time. And to my surprise, the friend had already booked a table there while I was on my way from NCPA and would not deny in saying I had the most memorable time with the person and a memorable meal and I'm glad it was at Salt Water. I'm lucky when it comes to being with people I love. (That's right food is a person for me. :) )

It's tough to find someone that gives you best experiences and memories so when I do find such rare gems, I treasure them and Salt Water Cafe is one of them. It is located in both Bandra and Churchgate. While the Bandra outlet has a beautiful little terrace as heard, the Churchgate outlet has massive wooden windows, brilliant lights all lit up during the night time, fabulous music and a jam pack crowd. The ambience is perfect and lovely. So much that even in the loud noise, I was (or maybe we were) in our own world.
I should go to the Bandra outlet next to eat and check out which side I am more partial to as these days, Bandra has been home for me. But from outside, I could feel the warmth and pleasure in the ambience.

The food here is best described Continental, though the menu includes lots of sandwiches, burgers, pastas and risotto options along with the appetizers, mains and desserts. Normally, I am not someone who would eat burgers and sandwiches in places like Salt Water Cafe and Smoke House Deli and I like to try out mostly their main courses as the taste and presentation of the main dishes are worth the price we pay. There are plenty of good dishes on the menu but it depends what you want to eat at which hour of the day. I've heard a lot about their risottos which will be definitely given a try when I go next.

As I already had eaten pasta and pizza in the noon, I decided to stay very light and only ordered 2 appetizers and 1 main dish for 2 of us even though its not an expensive restaurant but certainly not that cheap either and I never like it when someone pays for me until and unless its a big birthday treat and I feel little guilty of looting the person or perhaps maybe some people like to get looted. ;) :p  But I'm glad that the dishes we chose were worth the price we paid.

The 2 starters which I called for was the Polenta Chicken and Prawn and Calamari Ajilo. The Prawn starter was a lovely looking, yet a simple dish. It included slightly and lightly cooked seafood in a flavourful garlic broth and I sipped off all the yummy garlic broth in the end like I was having a soup. Tip: to squeeze the lemon on the prawns for a more powerful tingy flavour. Perfect!
Prawn and Calamari Ajilo
The Polenta Crusted Chicken was another spot on tasty appetizer, crunchy coating on top and tender while chewing. It was actually fried chicken but to my surprise, not even a single drop of oil could be seen in the dish. Tip: Eat it with the already served spicy chilli dip for a little spicy flavour.
Polenta Crusted Chicken
The Grilled Pepper Corn Chicken with Mashed Potatoes and a side of salad was called for. I went all lovestruck looking at the dish overall and the amazing looking brown sauce. I must admit that Salt Water really knows how to present their dishes and make it visually appealing. However, I didn't find the chicken  tender. Though it looked that I could manage to eat the dish by my own, I was already stuffed with one chicken piece and frankly was enjoying the mashed potatoes more. I think the next time I should call for a solo mashed potatoes plate. The mashed potatoes with chicken was more flavoursome and lovely.
Grilled PepperCorn Chicken with Mashed Potatoes
I did a big mistake by skipping the desserts there. One can simply not leave Salt Water Cafe without eating the desserts but at the same time, the feeling of not wanting to loot someone for one night was also there. :P But there is always a next time and for sure, I'd not miss eating the desserts here.

My meal was lovely and I'm definitely coming back soon to eat lunch and try their lovely risottos and other main dishes and desserts. However, their breakfast menu looks very tempting. Protein plate, spanish omlettes and eggs benedict needs to be given a full shot! So I can't wait to go back again very soon!

Polite and friendly service, tasty tasty food and a warm happy contented mood, Salt Water Cafe gets a thumbs up from my end. I don't know if I should say it was an occasion dinner or date night, either way it has worked in my favour. :P  I can't wait to go with the same person with who I went and treasure my moments in this lovely place again. :) Hoping for more such best times with the best people (food included, no doubt. :P). :D

Price for 2: Rs. 1600- 2000 + taxes

Address: 
1. 82, Nagin Mahal, Veer Nariman Road, Churchgate. (where earlier Mocha used to be) (Landmark: Ambassador Hotel road)
2. Rose Minar Annexe, 87, Chapel Road, Bandra West. 

No comments:

Post a Comment