Sunday, March 16, 2014

Sensational Sliders at Trader Vic's Mai Tai Lounge, Phoenix Market City, Kurla West

The Height of Hunger deeply apologizes for this super duper late post. So much has been happening around, one of which included writing a boring journal for the current semester and then a crazy exam. But anyway all's well that ends well. So let me narrate out about my experience in Trader Vic's Mai Tai Lounge, Phoenix Market City, Kurla West.

Before I start off my review, you guys should really know how I actually reached there. I was very excited to go to Kurla because I was going to have some adventurous time travelling because I've never been there nor needed to be there. After a lot of confusion on how to go there, via BKC or Kurla or Vidyavihar, I finally decided to get myself crushed and sandwiched in the crowded 6:55 pm Thane slow train and get down at Kurla. But as expected, when I wanted to get down at Kurla, oh Khodaiji, I couldn't. I managed to get down at Vidyavihar with all the dhaaka-bukki at the peak hous. But I'm glad I got down there as it was much convenient to get down at Vidyavihar than Kurla. I want to thank my friend Ajit Balgi (he writes at "acommonmandines") for recommending me how to go about with train travelling.

So finally I reached the mall and searched for Mai Tai and found it. Very few bloggers were going to come so we started the event 15-20 minutes earlier. Best known for Thai food, it also serves Chinese, Vietnamese and Mexican. Not only that, Mai Tai is more famous for their flavoursome, amazing cocktails (Tiki Puka Puka) and mocktails. So I would consider coming here for drinks with mouth-watering appetizers.

It was very quite that evening when we had gone. But I still remember going to the Lower Parel outlet and boy! it was mad. Here, the ambience was amazing with wooden interiors and the dim lightning, easy vibes, comforting, relaxing. But for me, still a perfect location if I want to go for a quite date with a special someone. Yea, I know you can't really use "romantic" as an adjective in a "lounge" but when it is quite with very few people at the place, it can be romantic. But this place is when you would want to come with a big group of friends or your colleagues with lots of cocktails and beer and chatting and laughing and taking a break from the stressful work.



Mai Tai is known for its unique tropical environment around the world. The lounge offers a phenomenal range of world-inspired food that are seared to create deliciously prepared global cuisine. From February 24 till March 23rd, the lounge has introduced an exquisite array of sliders called "Sensational Sliders" where the lounge would relish flavourful sliders inspired by various palates globally.

Sliders are nothing but mini burgers and look very cute. Sliders originated from a restaurant called Ham Burger in White Castle. We all do love massive burgers but every person has a different appetite to eat that huge a burger. Sliders are small and can be eaten if they wish to stay light on their stomach and at the same time, relish the flavours that they would in a burger. Though most of the sliders were inspired from Italian cuisine, Mai Tai has tried their best to make these sliders even at a much global level. For example, the Black Bean Prawn Slider where one could eat the prawn in place of the patty. The best part about 2 sliders were there were toasts in place of a small burger bun which was really innovative on the chef's part.

Vegetarians could choose from refreshing sliders like

1. Beetroot and Brown Rice Slider
2. Falafel Pita
3. Cottage Cheese and Olive Tepande and
4. Mushroom Alfredo Sliders.

According to me, the Falafel Pita and Cottage Cheese and Olive Tepande were the best from the vegeterian sliders. I loved the tingy spiciness at the end of the Falafel slider and the Cottage Cheese and Olive Tepande Slider was like the non-vegetarian sliders for the vegetarians. The Mushroom Alfredo Slider for me looked like a very cute vada pav. For the Beetroot and Brown Rice Slider, I wished that there was cheese included in it. Because personally, I do not like beetroot and I need some yumm flavour to eat something which I dislike.
Cottage Cheese and Olive tepande

Falafel Pita

Mushroom Alfredo

Beetroot and Brown Rice Slider


In the non-vegetarian selection, the sliders were

1. Italian Herb and Chicken Slider
2. Thai Fish Cake Slider
3. Chilli and Lime Fish Slider
4. Black Bean Prawn Slider
5. Cubanitos Slider

The Thai Fish Cake Slider was the best among the sea food sliders for one reason being that the taste of the herbed fish, sweet chilli and pepper tomato relish left an amazing taste in the mouth after eating. For The Black Bean Prawn Slider, I loved the whole idea of a prawn being a patty in the slider. But careful not to eat the prawn in one go, or else all you'll get to eat is the bun or in our language, we like to call it as "Pav naa Ducchaa." The Cubanitos Slider comprising of minced tenderloin and pork salami patty, onion marmalade and honey mustard dressing on round toasts was truly the highlight of the Sensational Sliders. The beef was extremely soft and all the juice dripping in my mouth was an amazing feeling. Being a chicketerian, the Italian Herb and Chicken Slider was equally amazing. The slider comprised of minced chicken patty, mixed herbs, roasted tomato sauce and parmesan cheese.
Italian Herb and Chicken Sliders

Chilli and Lime Fish 

Cubanitos Slider

Black Bean Prawn Slider

Thai Fish Cake


I really wanted to try their desserts. But didn't have the opportunity. Next time probably. Its a fun place if you have a big gang of friends to laugh out loud and unwind yourself with amazing cocktails and mocktails. The food is decently priced but the drinks are more expensive. I wouldn't really recommend it for intimate meals as far as I saw the place. Or maybe I can say that intimate meals can be a better option in the Kurla outlet than Palladium one. And staying much closer to Lower Parel, I would prefer to go to the Lower Parel outlet, not that I did not like the Kurla one. It was equally a good experience. Do not miss the Tiki Puka Puka here, heard quite a lot about it.

Would I come back again? Yes. But not anytime very soon. Many more places to try.

Cost for 2:
Kurla, Phoenix Market City: Rs. 1500-1700 ++
Lower Parel, Palladium: Rs. 2500-3000 ++

1 comment: