Thursday, February 20, 2014

Bloggers Breakfast Meet At Cafe Sundance.

I'm not a morning person, neither am I an afternoon person on a Sunday. Since years, Sundays for me meant "SleepDay". But this time I thought to check out last Sunday morning and its beauty. Sameer (FBAI) organized a wonderful breakfast meet at Cafe Sundance, Churchgate. Back in the days when I was in Jai Hind College, Sundance was hangout adda for me. I relished those days and I'm glad I woke up and went for this and cherished my days in the new decor of Sundance Cafe.

Before I start about my breakfast meet,let me give you guys a little brief up about Sundance. Back in the days, Sundance was owned by a Bawaji who served brilliant sandwiches and burgers. But because it was not that well known or famous, Bawaji sold this place and there came the existence of a French Bistro called "Chez Vous". That also barely lasted for sometime and the owner of Grill took over the place re-naming it as Cafe Sundance. So it opened in the same area, same name, albeit in a new avatar and under a new management.

Frankly, I never had the opportunity to visit the new Sundance and I was much excited to go. On a Sunday morning, the sun lights up everything inside the cafe. Brilliantly and naturally lit up in the morning. We were sitting upstairs and I loved the view downstairs. Could easily see what people were eating downstairs.

The main idea behind this meetup was an amazing Waffle and Sangria making competition. I love waffles a lot and had major cravings but because I never get an opportunity to go out for a breakie, this was the best time I could. Before we started off, Chef Aditya of Sundance showed us how the waffle is made in the waffle machine and gave an insight of what ingredients are used to make a waffle batter. Once it was done on the machine, we ate a lot of waffles. I am someone who loves things plain and simple and that's right I love my waffles once its out of the machine. No syrups, sauces or creams. Just plain hot waffles and more than eating waffles, I love the fragrance of the waffles in the making. And the dark brown colour.
Waffle batter in waffle machine


Its done

Plain, hot and delicious waffles taken out from waffle machine
Waffles cut in pieces

Some more waffles

And more...
Ingredients to be used for our waffle making.

We were then divided in teams of 2 and I was paired with Shanti (RiotsOfFlavours) and I was lucky to have her as my partner. Our judges for this competition was my favourite, cutie, cheeky, chubby Roxanne (The Tiny Taster) and Sumit, the manager of Sundance. We decided to call for the breakfast before we start off the competition so that the breakfast is ready while we are done with our competition. Shanti and I decided on how we would do our waffles. Our idea was to keep it classy and play with fruits. So we made our waffle in the traditional round waffle machine and had 4 waffles. On 2 waffles, we decided to go for the normal strawberry and chocolate sauce and on the other 2, maple syrup and banana. We also wanted to added nuts but sadly, we couldn't do that. But we did keep a very small piece of butter on our waffles for some taste.
Waffles prepared by 4 teams
Now that we were done with the competition and had already ordered our breakfast, most of us called for Eggs Benedict and so did I. Like always, Sundance never disappointed this time as well. Well poached eggs, lose yolk, nice bun and underneath the egg was a nice piece of honey roast ham served with a side of hashbrown, green salad and cheesy tomato stuff. It was delicious, enjoyable dish.
Eggs Benedict
I also got to try the Spanish Omlette, Steak Sandwich and Tomato and Mozzarella Cheese Pesto Sandwich. I was mind-blown by the presentation of the Spanish Omlette: mushrooms, potatoes, cheddar cheese and bacon bits on top of the omlette. However, the taste of the egg underneath these stuffs was not really upto the mark while the taste with these items tasted heavenly. The Tomato and Mozzarella Cheese Pesto Sandwich was one delicious vegeterian sandwich. The cheese was gooey as it was falling from the bread. I also tasted a little bit of the Triple Spicy Chicken Wings. It was said to be triple spicy but I did not really find it that spicy. It was only the gravy and not the chicken which was spicy, but not very very spicy. It was just perfect in its taste.
Steak Sandwich

Tomato and Mozzarella Cheese Sandwich
Once we were done with the breakfast, Roxanne and Sumit tasted the waffles prepared by all the 4 participants and later we were given an amazing insight about Sangria making though most of us didn't really tried to make our own Sangria except for Chef Joel. Later, Roxanne and Sumit announced the winners of the contest and Shanti and I won the first prize. :D
Shanti and my creation. Fruity Waffles. :D
I received this amazing book as a prize called "Recipes by Jamie". My brother was very ecstatic to see the book and so I gifted the book to him as he is a chef and which would help him in his final practicals. But I'm definitely trying one dish from the book before he leaves.
We ended this amazing  meet-up with an awesome group picture and eating the waffles.
Love this group and I missed some.
I thank Sameer for organizing this event. It was a lot of fun. I have always liked Sundance but their burgers, pastas, steaks are worth trying for. So I'm definitely planning to have lunch next here. Roxanne also gave me the knowledge about the burger challenge here. I think I should try that someday. Probably I'll have to fast for a week so that the 20 ounce burger fits in my tummy. :P I'm glad Sundance is back and I will be back there soon.  

No comments:

Post a Comment