Sunday, March 16, 2014

Chili Flakes, Dadar Parsi Colony

I believe the best part of living in Bombay is living in a very open area like Dadar Parsi Colony. Old buildings, many tiny lanes to reach a destination, a beautiful fire temple, many grounds, 5 gardens, street food, railings for people to sit in group primarily to smoke up. What lacks in my colony is the number of eateries to chill in the colony itself and either we have to end up eating roadside chaat and sandwiches from Chotus at 5 gardens or go to King Circle and Matunga and eat pav bhaaji. I remember having a beautiful tiny shop called Muffins when I was little which served lovely pattices, puffs, sandwiches and bakery items and today in my colony exists just 3 things. Parvez Hall for all the poris (no not girls!), Ratan Tata Institute (RTI) opposite Parvez Hall and this tiny eatery called Chili Flakes.

Not many people know about this place even when they come in the colony. They are always like Chalo! Matunga or King Circle to a small local restaurant or have a sub at Subway. This little outlet called Chili Flakes is located at Lady Jehangir Road in Plot no. 622,Palia Mansion building which apparently was once upon a time my second home! Tutions and the reason for it being a second home was because I hated studying and I had to stay from morning to evening till I gave up my studies to my teacher.

Due to proximity to home, I normally order. And the only thing I love to order is their Chicken and Cheese Burger (Rs. 70) with tomatoes and lettuce. I believe this is the only thing in their menu worth having. The chicken patty is very tender and chewy, juicy and filling. It almost feels like one is eating a piece of grilled chicken and as you go on eating, the crispy shreds of chicken shall be visible. Tip: Heat the burger for 30 seconds in microwave and enjoy it with the melted cheese drooling in the mouth. Honestly, if you ask me, this burger is worth the price. Apart from this, even their Beef and Bacon Burger (Rs. 90) is very decent in the taste.
Chicken and Cheese Burger

Brownie Shake
Their sandwiches are also very nice but for me, its not that filling. I will need at least 3 plates of such sandwiches and hence I prefer to have the burger. But my favourite is the very home style Ham and Cheese Sandwich. (Rs. 70, grilled and Rs. 50 plain) Its not filling but very decent and simple.
Among the pastas, I would recommend the Spaghetti Pasta in Red and White Sauce Mix (Vegetarian- Rs. 200, Non-veg 230). The Pesto Penne Pasta is also decent, except that it wasn't served that hot to me. The pastas are always served with Garlic bread on the side.
Ham and Cheese Sandwich

Pesto Penne Pasta with Garlic Bread
Overall, I would just say its average and they have a lot of scope of improvement. They've also started serving some indulgent meals but require more improvement in their culinary skill and also maybe a bit in their marketing as it is not that well known. But for me, I have a burger craving and one phone call and that burger is with me to relish. Or else, I'll have to go to town or Bandra to fulfill it.

Address: 622 Palia Mansion, Lady Jehangir Road, Dadar Parsi Colony, Mumbai 400 014
Cost for 2: Less than Rs. 500/-
Burger + Sandwich + Shake= Rs. 250/- or less

1 comment: