Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Review: Smoke House Deli, BKC - Smoking Amazing

Honestly, this should've been my first review. But due to unfortunate circumstances, I had lost these pictures and technology is also so moody that somehow due to a random phone hanging, I got these back. Weird right? But kya kare? Aisa sab mere saath hota hai. 

I had heard a lot about Smoke House Deli and their amazing dishes and wanted to eat there really soon. But I was lucky when the kind and sweet Roxanne (The Tiny Taster) thought of inviting me as her dining companion for the preview of the Bandra Kurla Complex outlet. I had read a lot of reviews of many places by Roxanne in the local Parsi newspaper called the "Parsi Times" and was really excited to meet her. My journey of thinking to start a food blog began by interacting with her about food blogging and tasting. Most importantly we really enjoyed each other's company and this first date of ours. ;) I must admit that The Height of Hunger wouldn't be possible without the support from the Tiny Taster. :)

So finally we reached SHD and as soon as I entered, I was mesmerized with their decor. Design is everywhere and I love the hand drawn designs on their walls which would depict something we see, something we like and something we do. They looked so much like cartoons and doodles, something very unique and interesting about this restaurant. Looking at the walls really made me feel like I was on a date. (Now of course I know where I can go for a date!) It was very pleasant sitting and chit chatting with Roxanne while we were sipping on our favourite cocktails. I had the Red Sangria which had red wine, vodka and  apples in it and I thoroughly enjoyed my drink. I've recently developed a taste for red wine and I'm glad I had a great one at Smoke House.


The wall designs

The lovely Red Sangria
Because I am writing a review now, after almost a month, it is totally impossible for me to remember the exact name of the dishes. My sincerest apologies to the readers for the same.

We really didn't wanted to go as per the standard tradition of soup-starter-mains-dessert. So we chucked the soup and decided to hog mostly on the appetizers and mains. Again, when it came to the mains, we decided "No Burger-Sandwich-Pizza" because we wanted to try something different.

To start off, we called for the Pimento and Jalapeno Crostini. It is a vegetarian starter which contains some vegetables like onions and carrots, jalapeno and chutney on top, on a small toast. Good choice for a veg starter. It was crunchy and decent. Honestly, I am very fussy in eating vegetables, but this was something I really liked.
Jalapeno Crositini
The next on the list was the Peri Peri Chicken Skewers with the zing of the hot pepper sauce and sprinkled on it were some onions and vegetables and a preparation of a small salad at the side of the dish. This was the best among the starters we had. Chicken was very nicely grilled and charred and there was a perfect blend of the sauces, mixture used. We also called for the Assorted Sea Food Fritters, which was nothing but fried prawns. I love prawns in any form and I sprinkled a little lemon juice on top of it. I really enjoyed this dish.

Peri Peri Chicken Skewers

Sea Food Fritters

Coming to the mains, we called for the Lemon Rice with Prawns. Because I love lemon rice and prawns both, I thought I would enjoy this. But honestly, it didn't meet up to the expectation. I didn't like the sauce which was used in the dish. It almost ended up looking like curd rice. I would have prefer it better if the rice was just plain. The second minus point was that too much of onions were used in this dish which literally reduced the flavour of lime in the dish. So Roxanne and I just digged on to all the prawns in the dish.


Lemon Rice and Prawns
      The next one was our favourite, The Boss Style Spaghetti accompanied with lots of chicken and green veggies. I love pastas, specially the penne and spaghetti. The flavours were perfectly in blend and overall, falling short of adjectives, I just found the dish perfect in all ways, the taste, the presentation. Definitely ordering this again when I go again. And the last was the Tenderloin Steak accompanied with the Potato Wedge and Vegetables. We asked for a well cooked meat and it was perfect.

Boss Style Spaghetti
                                                                         
Steak
  After having 6 dishes and already being full, we had 3 dessert dishes. We called for the Raspberry and Oreo Cheese Cake with white chocolate on top of it. It was a nice, tasty dessert with a good blending of raspberry and oreo, but the only little minus point was that the upper portion was too jammy and I don't like jam much. According to me, the amount of jam used on the top layer needs to be reduced.


Raspberry and Oreo Cheesecake


The next was our favourite Pannacotta which is like a custard. The presentation was in its most assorted form. Again, over here, the little drawback was that there was taste of excessive milk in comparison to cream and vanilla. But it was sweet. Most people who love milk, for them it would be a perfect dessert.


Pannacotta

The last was the Chocolate Flour less Cake with Vanilla Icecream, which is Smoke House's frequently ordered dessert. I really loved this dessert a lot. Looks hard from the outside, and very gooey and soft from the inside. It also had flavours of coffee in it. Most of the people wouldn't like coffee in their desserts, so the only thing I would say is that there is a need to mention that coffee shall be present in the dessert or reduce the excessive flavour of the coffee. But needless to mention, this was my favourite out of the desserts.

Flour less Chocolate Cake
Overall, I would just say that it is a fabulous place. Now I understand why people love Smoke House Deli so much! The decor, the food and the service is all fabulous. The staff is also friendly and attentive and this is what I like about some restaurants that they take the criticisms and feedback positively and work much better on it. Kudos to Smoke House for that. I also got to meet Mr. Riyaaz Amlani and kudos to him and his entire team for having Smoke House around!

A meal at Smoke House is certainly a very enjoyable and an amazing experience. I cannot wait to go for another date. :P I sincerely recommend Smoke House Deli to all of you'll. It is perfect place for lunch, dinner, dates, anything and you all shall automatically know that you all will never have a disappointing meal here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment