Sunday, January 19, 2014

Review: Winter Menu Tasting at Punjab Grill, Juhu

After sharing the first 2 reviews of my blog on Twitter, I was invited by the Food Bloggers Association of India (FBAI)  (Mr. Sameer Malkani is the person behind this association) for the winter menu tasting at Punjab Grill, Juhu. I love how he encourage new bloggers like me. I couldn't say no because it was my first invite after starting a blog, which is not even a month old yet. Thank You Sameer and Saloni once again for inviting me over and giving me a lot of support and encouragement. :)

When a non-Punjabi person thinks of Punjabi food, only two dishes strike their mind: Sarson Da Saag and Makai Roti, thanks to all the special mentions in Bollywood movies. I am not a big fan of Punjabi food, but because it is by Jiggs Kalra, to whom most people associate with his newly started restaurant "Masala Library" at BKC, I was sure that this would be a different experience. I was in a culinary journey of its grandeur of undivided Punjab. Punjab Grill indeed serves authentic North Indian cuisine particularly Punjabi and Kashmiri dishes. With their base in Delhi, they have surely gone the extra mile to get the original flavours of Punjab. Whether you go to Jiggy's old Punjab Grill, or his newly started "Masala Library", both shall promise one thing: Taste of Indian Food at its best and in style like you've never seen before.  

Punjab Grill had recently launched their new winter menu. The dishes have been prepared by Chef Gurpreet Singh whose idea was to have more of the natural earthen flavours . From Kaali Gajjar Kanji to Sarson Da Saag to Bahurngi Biryani, all of Punjab's richness in this tasting. And also a lot of opportunity for me to taste different food. 

Let's start with the ambience and decor.  As soon as I traced out the place and stopped my rickshaw, I realised the entrance was at the other side. This place is MASSSIVE! I had never seen such a huge restaurant in Juhu, honestly. It has a huge outdoor seating and indoor seating have a great ambience and interiors. Outside seating was so comfortable accompanied by the chilled weather. At least 10 people could sit on one table at outdoors. It makes a person dining there feel like a posh.   

Outdoor table

The outdoor seating at Punjab Grill
I interacted with Mrs. Purabi Naha who writes some really amazing stuff about Asian food on her blog and as time passed by, we called for our cocktails. I called for the Nashik Grape Martini while Purabi, the guava cocktail. While I found my grape martini too bitter, I replaced with Sangria. The Sangria was impressive and so was the guava cocktail with a mixture of guava, rum and chaat masala was to die for. 

My lovely Red Sangria

Guava Cocktail
Starting now, the winter menu, first on the serve was Kaali Gaajar Kanji. When I heard carrots, I went, "NO!" because I HATE Carrots. I hate eating vegetables actually, says a Parsi who always thinks about chicken and pork. But then I thought, I can at least try a sip. I really loved the presentation of this dish when it was served to us. The Kaanji was in a small earthen pot accompanied with aloo boonda. This kaanji is basically fermented black carrot juice kept for 72 hours in an earthen pot with tangy spices and mustard. I took the first sip and my reaction went from hate to love. YES! I loved this. It was extremely soulful, soothing, divine and served as an amazing appetizer and also helps to detoxify the body. Purabi mentioned that in Punjab, this is a famous winter juice and for most people who've lived at Punjab, they went through a walk down memory lane. Possibly the best I ever had here. Totally recommendable and NOT TO BE MISSED!

Kaali Gaajar Kanji
Shakarkandi Kamrakh Ki Chaat was apple wood smoked sweet potato and star fruit tossed in sweet and sour tamarind. The dish was perfectly in sync and the taste was quite delicious. I only eat sweet potato with certain dishes, but this one was an instant hit. Highly Recommended.

Shakarkandi Kamrakh Ki Chaat
Kharode ka Shorba was gently simmered lamb trotter soup paired with stuffed mini cheese naan. The aroma was really amazing but I found the taste of the soup quite average. But the accompanying mini cheese naan tasted really amazing. 
Lamb Trotter
When I read the description of Chakundar ke Kabab, again I went, "BEETROOT!" As I already mentioned, I hate eating vegetables and I even hate curd. But when the dish was served and I had a bite, I loved the taste of the gooey stuffing inside this crunchy kebab. Only a talented chef can make beetroot kababs this amazing. Nice and crunchy due to pine nut stuffing, and delicious. Perfect starter for a vegetarian. 
Beetroot Kebab
 Bheja Masala was next on the serve. As a Parsi, I've eaten so many bhejas (of people too, included. haha!) that I was excited to see this one. The Bheja masala when served,  looked like akori. I was expecting a nice big round brain to be served honestly. Accompanied by pav bread and butter, the bheja masala tasted nice, smooth and melted in the mouth. However, I personally enjoy eating a proper round fried brain. 

Bheja Masala
Tabak Maaz were the lamb ribs. I love my meat soft and so I can say that it was cooked to perfection. 
Lamb Ribs
Methi Chicken Tikka was my most favourite among the starters, of course for a reason that I love chicken more than anything else. I cannot yet get over the tenderness of the chicken and the flavours used in it. It was mind blowing and an absolute treat.
Methi Chicken Tikka
While I was already full with all this and realizing that this was just the start, it was time for the main course. Unfortunately,  it was already 10.30 pm. Coming from a family where late night are not allowed for me beyond a certain hour, I couldn't eat the biryani. and other main dishes. I only tried the butter chicken, sarson da saag and dal makhni. (I forgot to click the pictures.) The Butter Chicken was fairly average. Nothing super great about it. The Dal Makhni was extremely heavy and creamy, but still delicious.

The Sarson da Saag which was Punjab Grill's signature blend of slow simmered, hand pounded mustard and winter greens with dollops of butter was one spectacular dish. Finally, now I understood why Punjabi families in Bollywood movies were so fond of this. It was beautifully textured and I went all gaga looking at the safed makhan. (DAMN! I WISH I TOOK A PICTURE! ) Really delicious and smooth.

By the time I was done with these, it was 11 pm and I really had to be back home early. The waiter stopped us and rapidly got this really amazing dessert called Daulat ki Chaat. No, it has not got something to do with the tingy chaat  flavour. In fact, it is a sweet dish made by using milk froth in winter dews. It is a typical North Indian sweet dish and I wondered why it was given this name! The waiter serving me enlightened me the fact that in earlier days, the Mughal kings used to consume this dish, hence the name "Daulat". In fact, this is the world's lightest sweet dish. (Remember this if you just end up going to Kaun Banega Crorepati and computer ji asks you this question. :P) The minute I had it in my mouth, it just melted and I was wondering "I can't feel anything inside my mouth." Really tantalizing.


I wish I get an opportunity to go to Punjab or Delhi and taste more of these amazing dishes. While I was leaving, I was gifted this huge basket of their goodies. The Kanji, Till Papad, Gajar Achaar. But the main hit was their Mutton Achaar. I had it with my yellow daal chawal and "Good Lord!" It tasted heavenly with a simple dish like daal chawal. Maja aavi gayi yaaaar! Now I know how to make my daal chawal exciting! Thank Youu sooo much Punjab Grill for the wonderful basket of goodies.

 Punjab Grill has won me over for the love of the North Indian delicacies. They serve authentic flavours and use the traditional earthen cooking techniques which have originated from Punjab. The winter menu was a big hit and I'm sure most of you'll must've end up reading reviews or seeing pictures in the newspapers itself. Go make a visit. Even their main menu has amazing stuffs like salmon tikka which is very innovative and different. It is definitely worth an experience. I thank Mr. Sameer Malkani from Food Bloggers Association of India once again for inviting me over and Purabi and Jahan for being a wonderful company. 

No comments:

Post a Comment